Off To a Great Start!
PROGRESS
I have made a great deal of progress since deciding to do my project on bullet journaling.
February 27: I emailed my mentors, Lindsey and Anna Bellotti, to ask if they would be willing to help me; one of them (Lindsey) got back to me right away and agreed to help.
February 28: My second mentor, Anna, emailed me back and said she would also be willing to help me. Today I researched how to set-up a bullet journal.
March 6: A student, Lilly, gave me some lettering tips! (I'm still not very good at it.) I also researched the origin of bullet journaling by watching a video and reading the original website.
March 8: I researched lettering. I watch a video titled "10 Lettering Enhancements Anyone Can Do," and I immediately practiced. The ones I practiced dealt with block lettering.
March 9: I FINALLY started my actual bullet journal. The first pages that I did were 4 pages called "Future Planner." This consists of a small calendar for each month with space to write a quick list of important dates or tasks for that month. This is helpful because I might not have the large monthly calendar done yet, so it gives me a place to write events down.
March 10: I finished the Future Planner pages. I also started and pretty much finished the large March calendar. Here I learned that it turns out that I can't draw a simple shamrock.
March 14: In my research of sample pages over the last week, I came across some fun Disney pages, so I started a page called "Disney Bucket" list. I completely borrowed the idea from Pinterest. Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell where the picture originated so I cannot give proper credit.
March 16: I completed a Disney animated film check list page and started a similar Pixar page. Again, I got the idea from Pinterest. My daughters and I plan to try to watch the films in the order of their release.
March 22: I watched a video from AmandaRachLee called "Plan with Me" for April. I really like her style and might try to mimic her in the future. She has an extensive collection of videos on everything from planning to supplies.
March 23: I created a bullet journal page of Disney memories. I drew (haha, just kidding...make that TRACED) a Mickey hand holding Mickey balloons, and each balloon has a memory in it. I placed it opposite the Disney Bucket List page.
March 24: I watched another lettering video. I'm starting to realize that just the lettering part of my project could have been it's own project. This time I watched "Simple Hand Lettering - A Step by Step for Beginners" by Shayda Campbell. This video was ok; I found that her camera angle made it difficult to see the lettering very well. I also watch another video by AmandaRachLee on her top 10 supplies. Yes, I bought most of them...
PLAN
Moving forward, there are three areas that I'd like to focus on
1. I would like to continue to focus on lettering, more specifically faux calligraphy. I really like how it looks, and I think it could really enhance my bullet journaling pages. I plan to watch multiple videos, print and complete practice pages, and incorporate it into my journal.
2. I intend to research the benefits of bullet journaling. I've come across some information about this, but I haven't made a focused effort to research it.
3. Finally, I plan to complete at least 4 new bullet journal pages. My daughter is getting married in June of 2020, so I will complete 2 bullet journal pages on wedding planning. My plan is to use a wedding checklist to track what we need to do 12 months out, 11 months out, etc. For the next two pages, I will complete my April calendar. Instead of the wedding pages, I might do countdown pages for my summer vacations.
1. I would like to continue to focus on lettering, more specifically faux calligraphy. I really like how it looks, and I think it could really enhance my bullet journaling pages. I plan to watch multiple videos, print and complete practice pages, and incorporate it into my journal.
2. I intend to research the benefits of bullet journaling. I've come across some information about this, but I haven't made a focused effort to research it.
3. Finally, I plan to complete at least 4 new bullet journal pages. My daughter is getting married in June of 2020, so I will complete 2 bullet journal pages on wedding planning. My plan is to use a wedding checklist to track what we need to do 12 months out, 11 months out, etc. For the next two pages, I will complete my April calendar. Instead of the wedding pages, I might do countdown pages for my summer vacations.
CLOSING
So far, I'm really enjoying bullet journaling. I'm looking forward to working on my lettering because I think quality lettering can have a really positive impact on a page. Stay tuned!





Mrs. Saylor,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog! I have especially enjoyed all of your pictures. It really helps me get a true sense of what exactly you're doing and what progress you are making on your bullet journal. Your Disney-related pages are very engaging, and I can tell you put a great deal of time into them.
You mentioned that you have researched the origin of bullet journaling. What did you learn about how it got started?
I look forward to your response and to reading more of your blog in the future!
Lindsey Bellotti
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lindsey! I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I really enjoyed working on the Disney pages!
DeleteI have learned quite a bit about the origin of bullet journaling. It was created by Ryder Carroll as a way for him to organize his life. He shared it with a friend in 2007, and she told him that he needed to share his methods with others. In 2013 he created a website called bulletjournal.com. It was featured on another website, and bulletjournal.com suddenly had thousands of visitors. He then created a tutorial video, and soon several bullet journaling blogs, podcasts, vlogs, etc. began appearing. Since then, he has been improving his website, videos, and methods.
Thank you again for your comment, Lindsey!